Saturday, April 17, 2010

Gidget


I have officially arrived.

You can henceforth refer to me as "Gidget".

I, Jessica Johnson, had my first surfing lesson yesterday.

My marvelous friend Ryan and I made a deal; he would teach me to surf and I would pay him with food. So I made up some Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies, headed north on the 1 - sunroof open, windows down, sunglasses on - and met up with him at his house in Huntington
Beach.



Wetsuit and long board in tow, we walked down to the ocean and took the plunge. We only had about an hour because I had to be back down to work in the afternoon, but that was more than enough time to completely exhaust my out-of-shape self.

I never actually stood up on the board. I did, however, get to my knees, which I considered a great success!(and was then told I failed because your knees are never supposed to touch the board; just straight up to your feet, blah blah blah), but I caught every wave that I tried for, and I can hardly move this morning due to sore muscles, so I must have done something right.

Lesson Two shall commence in one week.

In the mean time... please enjoy this quote from the movie Gidget.

"Surfing is out of this world. You can't imagine the thrill of the shooting the curl. It positively surpasses every living emotion I've ever had.
Honest to goodness it's the absolute ultimate! "


No comments:

Post a Comment